Jill Vogel, JD, RN
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Jill Vogel is a board-certified health law expert whose practice focuses on providing our clients day-to-day legal advice, including how to comply with federal and state laws regulating the health care industry and, when necessary, respond to audits and investigations by government agencies. Jill also assists our clients with transactional matters including forming, buying and selling businesses, negotiating medical practice and provider agreements, lease agreements, license applications, and other operational needs. Jill’s broad expertise on federal and state healthcare laws and regulations includes the Stark law, federal and state anti-kickback statutes, HIPAA/HITECH, False Claims Act, Medicare/Medicaid Conditions of Participation, qui tam whistleblower claims, state licensure laws, credentialing/peer review, bioethics and research compliance. Additionally, Jill is credentialed as a Fellow of Information Privacy, Certified Information Privacy Manager, and Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. She is an adjunct law professor at St. Mary’s University School of Law.
Jill brings over 30 years of experience in the healthcare industry as an attorney, administrator and health care provider, including Chief Legal Officer and interim Chief Nurse Officer of an acute care hospital, Associate General Counsel and Corporate Privacy Officer of a national healthcare system, and a 24-year career in the U.S. Army. She has litigated cases brought under the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the False Claims Act, as well as medical malpractice and commercial liability cases. Her expert knowledge of law and healthcare enables her to provide realistic, practical advice and solutions to our clients.
Jill is board certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She currently chairs the San Antonio Bar Association Health Law Section and is a Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellow.
- Board Certified, Health Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Fellow of Information Privacy, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Manager, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S., International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Texas, 2001
- New Mexico, 2008
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Advanced Health Law Certification, 2013
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2001 (cum laude)
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio B.S.N, 1992 (summa cum laude)
- “Comply with Safe Harbors” in HME News, available at http://www.hmenews.com/article/legal-comply-safe-harbors (Aug. 2015)
- “Maintain a Culture of Compliance” in HME News, available at http://www.hmenews.com/article/legal-maintain-culture-compliance (July 2015)
- “Understanding Medical Records,” in Analyzing Medical Records for the Texas Paralegal, Institute for Paralegal Education (2002).
- Between a (Schoolhouse) Rock and a Hard Place: Title IX Peer Harassment Liability after Davis v. Monroe County Board of Education, 37 Houston Law Review 1525 (2001).
- Honors Students in a Professional School: Perceived Needs and Goals, 15 National Honors Report 125 (1994).
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Admitted, Texas
- Admitted, New Mexico
- Registered Nurse, Texas
- American Bar Association — Health Law Section
- State Bar of Texas Health Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico Health Law Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- American College of Healthcare Executives
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- American College of Healthcare Executives (2017, 2018)
- Physician Succession Planning, Texas Medical Group Management Association Annual Meeting (2017)
- Class Facilitator, Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellows Program (March 2017)
- Conference Director and Career Panel panelist, New Mexico State Bar Health Law Section Health Law Annual Conference (October 2016)
- Protected Health Information and Technology; Ethics Panel panelist, Texas Perinatal Association (April 2016)
- Panelist, Ethics Panel, Texas Perinatal Association (April 2015, 2014)
- Legal Aspects of Nursing Documentation, University of Texas at El Paso (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010)
- City of Windcrest Ethics Commission (2019 – present)
- UT Health San Antonio Institutional Review Board (2017 – present)
- Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellows Program Mentor (2017)
- State Bar of New Mexico Health Law Section, former Chair (2016), Secretary (2015), Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Harrington Regional Medical Center Board of Directors (2015)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo Institutional Review Board Member (2015)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso Institutional Review Board Member (2003-2015)
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of El Paso, Board of Directors (2010), mentor (2010-11)
- Leadership El Paso Class XXXI (2009)