AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Estate Planning
Mike Kreager has practiced business and tax law for more than 35 years. His law practice is a general business law practice that involves business entities, tax planning, business transactions and finance, family limited partnerships, estates, wills and trusts, and other practice areas relating to individuals and businesses.
The Texas Medical Association published Mike’s book, Employment Contracts for Physicians: The Comprehensive Guide, in 2012. It is now in its second edition (2015). The book can be purchased here.
In 2009, Baylor Law Review published Mike’s extensive analysis of physician covenants not to compete, which can be found at 61 Baylor Law Review pages 357-541, and is available on the web. The article has been cited in Texas court cases, appellate briefs and other secondary materials. He has been quoted frequently in various publications including Texas Medicine and the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Journal of Oncology Practice. Mike speaks often at continuing education programs on business, tax and physician-related topics.
For a long time, Mike has been active in his community, serving on the boards of numerous charitable organizations, including serving as board chairman of BioBridge Global, the South Texas Medical Foundation, the San Antonio Chapter of the American Red Cross and the South Texas Blood & Tissue Foundation.
Board Certified Tax Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas, 1988
L.L.M. (in Taxation)
Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas, 1978 J.D.
HONORS: Order of the Coif
Law Journal: Journal of Air Law and Commerce, 1978
Vanderbilt University, 1976 B.A.
HONORS: Cum Laude
Honors and Awards:
- Johnson, Bromberg, Leed & Riggs Award, Outstanding Student in Corporation &
Finance Law, Southern Methodist University
- Named among The Best Lawyers in America® – Health Care Law, Best Lawyers by Woodward White, Inc. (2005-2017)
- 2007-2016 Selected for Inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers by Thompson and Reuters
The Physician’s First Employment Contract: a Guide to Understanding and Negotiating a Physician Employment Contract… from the Employee Physician’s Perspective, 58 pages, copyright 2013, self-published and a copy can be printed for free from this website under the section Healthcare Law Overview.
The Physician’s Right in §15.50 (b) To Buy out a Covenant Not to Compete in Texas, 61 Baylor Law Review pages 357-541 (2009), cited in, among other publications: (A) Greenville Surgery Center, Limited v. Beebe, 320 S.W. 3d 853, Tex. App.-Dallas (2010), (B) Tex. Jur. 3d Healing Arts and Institutions §50, Contractual Agreements Affecting Right to Practice-Covenant Not to Compete (2015), and (C) Non-Compete Clauses and Physician Employment Contract Are Bad for Our Health, 14 Hawaii Business Journal 79 (2011).
Employment Contracts for Physicians: The Comprehensive Guide, 283 Pages, copyright 2015 (Second Edition), Texas Medical Association, available for purchase here.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- San Antonio Bar Association, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section, Member – Partnership Law Committee
- BioBridge Global, Board of Directors 2015- Present; Board Chair 2015- Present
- Medical Group Management Association, Member
- San Antonio Medical Foundation, Board of Trustees, 1999 – Present. Chairman, 2007 – 2009
- Institutional Review Board, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Community Member, 1989 – 2009
- American Red Cross (San Antonio Area Chapter), Chapter Chairman 1996 – 1997; 2003 – 2004. Board of Directors 1991 – 1998 and 2000 – 2006, Executive Committee 1993 – 1997 and 2001 – 2006
- South Texas Blood & Tissue Center, Board of Directors 1994 – 2006. Chairman 1998 – 2006
- San Antonio Bar Foundation, 1999 – Present
- City of Terrell Hills, Board of Adjustments, 2003 – 2006
- The Blood & Tissue Center Foundation, Co-Founder; Board of Directors 2003 – Present, Co-Chair 2003 – 2004
- Sunshine Cottage School for the Deaf, Board of Directors, June 2004 – 2005
- Sunshine Cottage Scholarship Foundation, 2008 – Present, Chair 2013 – Present
- Bexar County Medical Society Foundation, Board of Directors 2003 – 2009
- San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind, Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2000 – 2003
- San Antonio Wellness Coalition, Board of Directors, 2011 – 2015
- President’s Council, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- Golden Circle, Texas Biomedical Research