Direct Line: 210-283-6243
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Jill Vogel has over 30 years of experience in the healthcare industry as an attorney, administrator and health care provider, including Chief Legal Officer and Interim Chief Nurse Officer of an acute care hospital, Associate General Counsel and HIPAA Privacy Officer of a national healthcare system, and a 24-year career in the U.S. Army. She has litigated cases brought under the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the False Claims Act, as well as medical malpractice and commercial liability cases. Her expert knowledge of law and healthcare enables her to provide realistic, practical advice and solutions to clients.
Jill is double-board certified in Health Law by both the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization. She is a past chair of the New Mexico Health Law Section and a Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellow. Additionally, Jill is a Certified Information Privacy Professional.
Jill’s practice focuses on providing clients day-to-day advice regarding compliance, risk management, and crisis management, as well as regulatory and transactional matters such as entity formation, practice agreements, mergers and acquisitions, provider agreements, lease agreements, license applications, purchase agreements, investigation preparedness and response, and other operational needs. Jill’s broad expertise on federal and state healthcare laws and regulations includes the Stark law, federal and state anti-kickback statutes, HIPAA/HITECH, False Claims Act, Medicare/Medicaid Conditions of Participation, illegal remuneration, qui tam whistleblower claims, state licensure laws, credentialing/peer review, ethics and research compliance.
- Texas 2001
- New Mexico 2008
Certificates and Specialties
- Board Certified, Health Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified, Health Law, New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S., International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Advanced Health Law Certification, 2013
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2001 (cum laude)
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio B.S.N, 1992 (summa cum laude)
- Between a (Schoolhouse) Rock and a Hard Place: Title IX Peer Harassment Liability after Davis v. Monroe County Board of Education, 37 Houston Law Review 1525 (2001).
- “Understanding Medical Records,” in Analyzing Medical Records for the Texas Paralegal, Institute for Paralegal Education (2002).
- “Maintain a Culture of Compliance” in HME News, available at http://www.hmenews.com/article/legal-maintain-culture-compliance (July 2015)
- “Comply with Safe Harbors” in HME News, available at http://www.hmenews.com/article/legal-comply-safe-harbors (Aug. 2015)
- Honors Students in a Professional School: Perceived Needs and Goals, 15 National Honors Report 125 (1994).
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Admitted, Texas
- Admitted, New Mexico
- Registered Nurse, Texas
- American Bar Association — Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas Health Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico Health Law Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- American College of Healthcare Executives
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- Physician Succession Planning, Texas Medical Group Management Association Annual Meeting (April 2017)
- Class Facilitator, Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellows Program (March 2017)
- Conference Director and Career Panel panelist, New Mexico State Bar Health Law Section Health Law Annual Conference (October 2016)
- Protected Health Information and Technology; Ethics Panel panelist, Texas Perinatal Association (April 2016)
- Panelist, Ethics Panel, Texas Perinatal Association (April 2015, 2014)
- Legal Aspects of Nursing Documentation, University of Texas at El Paso (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010)
- Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellows Program Mentor (2017)
- State Bar of New Mexico Health Law Section, former Chair (2016), Secretary (2015), Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Harrington Regional Medical Center Board of Directors (2015)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo Institutional Review Board Member (2015)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso Institutional Review Board Member (2003-2015)
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of El Paso, Board of Directors (2010), mentor (2010-11)
- Leadership El Paso Class XXXI (2009)